PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much is the Aussie Lifestyle costing you?
Old 9th Jan 2002, 09:33
Glamorous Glennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been throught this debate with my other voice that creeps into yonder corner of brain on occasions. True i could go overseas and earn a bucket more...had that chance in fact. The things I couldn't reconcile enough to make the move were this:

1) What happens if after ten years or so overseas I have enough to retire on back in Oz but I'm not really ready to stop flying in an airline job AND can't take it anymore in the overseas destination I am in? Do I give up a career I LOVE to be in and find something else to do and risk being bitter that I'm to old or to late to get a reasonable job in Oz?

2) What about the lifestyle I love right here in Oz? I will NEVER get those years back. I may get older than I hope while away and even if I get back here wealthy enough to retire will I be able to enjoy that retirement as much as I can enjoy the next ten years right here and now?

3) Money doesn't make you happy and and though you may think it does I assure you it is only a perception perpetuated by the constant rating of jobs in our business in terms of money and not happiness. Look how many Oz mates came back to work for Impulse when they started flying jets! I'll bet it was irrelevant for many that they had a stash of cash in the bank.

4) Just look at how many '89ers came back over the years, long before VB and Impulse were around with jets, to fly for NJS on the 146's. Given the numbers, for many, I'd say the cost of your lifestyle here in Oz is priceless.

sprucegoose is wondering if there are any volunteers for conjugal visits in the sin bin. Females only need apply.

[ 09 January 2002: Message edited by: Glamorous Glennis ]</p>