PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much is the Aussie Lifestyle costing you?
Old 9th Jan 2002, 04:28
Booger

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kaptain M makes a very good point - how do you quantify "cost of living" ??? At first, it appears you just take your Net pay and deduct reasonable living costs... simple! But how do you put a price on being able to drop your kids at school and not worry about depressed 4th grader going beserk with an AK47? Or knowing that suicide bombers would target your wife's workplace because her employer is a western infidel pig-dog company?

A little over-dramatic, I know..! Yet some do make the trip to "less-friendly" places for more money. One interesting reason was given to me by a friend who recently headed "to the sandpit":

"Imagine you are offered this from an employer - 'we want you to come to our country and do the same job you're doing now but for 4 times as much money' - to NOT take this job would be an affront to employees around the world!!!"

A simplified reason to be sure, but it makes one valid point. The average family would be inconvenienced for many years in the displaced location, but upon return to Oz (assuming financially sensible decisions have been made) you are able to provide so much more to your family for the future.

I guess it boils down to personal preference, other friends have told me they would NOT go overseas for "all the tea in China (including the "special administrative region!")

MONEY vs LIFESTYLE = iressistable force meets the immovable object.