PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2006, 17:40
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And back on thread, the good thing about a display scramble off the ORP was the 'silent' sim rapid start.

Normally the Hoochin would be running and providing elecrical power but of course it was noisy. For VIP display purposes the aircraft would sit there 'dead' no noise and waiting the scramble order rather than moving up from 15 to 05 and then 02.

The order would come through to scramble and the crew, at a sort of cockpit readiness, door closed, strapped in etc would hit the mass rapid and start rolling to be airborne from cold in about 30 odd seconds. Only think was, as recounted earlier the engine instruments didn't kick in until 70% rpm.

The aircraft would be well on its way down the runway, gyros running up, engine instruments coming on-line and the jet almost flyable before it was actually at 02.

Seem to remember the AEO would start the Rover to speed the elctrics up. The nav kit would be going on computer and ADC only waiting for the NBS and Doppler to catch up.

Remember one Vulcan 1a scramble at Finningley when one jet got airborne on2 and another on 2 with a 3rd spooling up.