PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2006, 15:46
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard a lot of rumours that the runway being kept artificially short, but is there any proof of this? I know a lot of very obstructive things have been done in Irish aviation policy over the years, but would they really go to this length. I'm just concerned that this is one of these things that someone might say - and get sued over, because it's the type of things that would never be minuted. Just a behind the scenes deal that could easily be denied.

I've always wondered whether it was just plain simple lack of vision? One way or the other, the job needs to be done now. The problem people overlook is that even though we're doing well economically, there are places like Bratislava, Warsaw and other new EU nations - on the continent, with long runways, cheap labour and excellent land transport links. And what do we do? We solidify our disadvantage with obstructionism and even more lack of vision.

As for BKK and other Asian destinations, I wonder if DM's choice was influenced by the possibility of EK coming in here; if they did, they'd hoover up and there'd be sod all chance of EI flying to Asia at all. I think the main reason for choosing to interline with EK at DXB is to do whatever it takes to keep EK out of Dublin ... and to build links to Asia. With the experience they've had on transatlantic routes, the last thing they need to place limits on their own growth potential.