PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 23:14
Topslide6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Pete,

At the risk of getting shot down again...you are turning this into a single-pilot vs multi-pilot operation argument. I was merely trying to stand up to the ridiculous bashing that 250 hrs F/O's have taken in this thread. I also stand by what I said. There is not one thing you have listed there, apart from the bleeding obvious, that I and many (if not all) F/O's have to deal with on a daily basis. If you took that 250hr cadet you were paired with in the sim and put him back in the sim after he'd done 750hrs on line along with a fresh 250hr cadet, the same difference would be evident. I understand what you're saying as regards single pilot ops, and I was not criticising it, but this attitude that you cannot fly a jet unless you've flown single pilot or turboprops first is absurd. At the end of the day it's a mute point.

A mass generalisation, which like all mass generalisations has been proved and disproved many times over
That says it all.

Trentino,

nape, those 20 something, 400 hour F-18 pilots are monitering some very advanced autopilot systems.
...forgive me. What kind of autoflight systems does a modern airliner have? Those 20-something's are on the whole highly trained, very switched on, and very capable pilots.

Jet_A_Knight

If you think experience flying SPIFR ops is so irrelevant to good flying skills
I assume you're referring to me with that comment. At no point in anything i've written on here have I said, directly or inferred, that that is my opinion. It's relevance to the ability to operate a commercial jet over someone who has not flown SPIFR is in question, however.

Many of these 250hr F/O's are doing their learning and gaining their experience from some excellent Captains and trainers while 'on the job' having already attained a high level of competency to operate the aircraft commercially. I still fundamently disagree with the notion that it is not possible to do that straight out of flight school (again raising the question of selection), and that is nothing to do with not listening to others and learning as much as we can from them.

Of course, the view from the left hand seat maybe very different.....