PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet Deicing
Thread: Westjet Deicing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 20:11
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A310GUY
I find the last post quite revealing in itself. I personally don't care who is watching and whether or not they have cameras. I operate an aircraft based on my experience, knowledge and training and take the safest and most judicious course of action taking into account the conditions and circumstances presented. In reference to spraying - I don't spray just because the guy next to me is or isn't getting sprayed. It is just another piece of information.
And if one gets it wrong while those around them were getting it right, they have to answer for that. I've personally witnessed my fair share of aircraft departing with lots of snow on them while the vast majority of other flights are in the deicing bay. I hope you weren't one of them, and I have to ask why anyone would take such risks? Like it or not, part of our responsibility is covering our own (and the company's) back side. If those around us are applying an accepted best practice, why would any of us want to do differently? Just exactly who benefits in the long run? It also concerns me that a Captain is prepared to set such an example for a First Officer.
Originally Posted by A310GUY
And by the way - the Dryden accident didn't occur because "people are willing to drift away from the acceptable standard." It was alot more complicated than that.
Yes it was complicated, but the Captain's past experiences of getting away with flying other aircraft types with contaminated wings in spite of the well-known risks of doing so, (a common practice at that company),was a definite factor, as was taking the aircraft into Dryden with no APU and no ground support equipment.