PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet Deicing
Thread: Westjet Deicing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 17:55
A310GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safey guy says:
This thread and discussions like it, are precisely why I will not go flying with any amount of contamination on my wings. You just never know who is watching, and many of them carry cameras....... I do not want to have to answer to TC for my actions, no matter how much I feel I can get away with it.
I find the last post quite revealing in itself. I personally don't care who is watching and whether or not they have cameras. I operate an aircraft based on my experience, knowledge and training and take the safest and most judicious course of action taking into account the conditions and circumstances presented. In reference to spraying - I don't spray just because the guy next to me is or isn't getting sprayed. It is just another piece of information. It is true that two aircraft departing at approximately the same time from the same field may have different spray requirements. If the pilots of the subject flight did make a mistake in judgement about the adhering contaminant then I am sure that the flight ops of his airline, if properly advised, will give counsel and training programs will be, if required, amended.

Anyhow, having said all that and after reading the original post, it doesn't seem that there was that much contaminant left on the wing anyhow. Don't get me wrong - I don't condone taking off with a contaminated wing. It is just that the 'sky is falling tone' and legitimacy of the posters' alleged submissions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And by the way - the Dryden accident didn't occur because "people are willing to drift away from the acceptable standard." It was alot more complicated than that.