PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 15:25
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Brian,

My MP, David Cameron, has forwarded the response he received after writing to Dr John Reid on my behalf:

"Dear David,

Thank you for your two recent letters () enclosing corrspondence from your constituent (BEagle), about the crash of Chinook ZD576 on the Mull of Kintyre.

I note that (BEagle) is advocating a position not dissimilar to that which has been adopted by some of your colleagues; having the available evidence reviewed by a senior judicial figure. I regret that I am unable to agree to such a suggestion.

This, as was stated by Geoff Hoon in his Statement to the House on 22 July 2002, has been "the most extensively examined air crash in the history of British military aviation". The original Board, the Scottish Fatal Accident Inquiry, the HCDC and the House of Lords Select Committee have all studied the same evidence. Each new Government and Ministerial team since the accident has also had the opportunity to review the case. Indeed, when the Labour Government came into office in 1997, it was our opinion that an injustice had been done which we could put right. Despite having looked closely at the case then, and again when Geoff became Defence Secretary, we were not able to justify overturning the findings. My opinion continues to be that the finding should remain undisturbed.

Kind Regards,

John Reid"

I have replied asking Mr Cameron:

1. To ask Dr John Reid specifically why he is unable to agree to the suggestion that an impartial review should be conducted by a senior judicial figure.

2. To ask Dr John Reid whether he is aware that, of the signatories to EDM 1111 asking for such a review, currently no less than 25.5% are from his own Labour party. And, as a consequence, whether Dr John Reid accepts that 'his opinion' does not accurately represent the current government's view.

Last edited by BEagle; 28th Jan 2006 at 19:07.