PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!
Old 28th Jan 2006, 10:56
sky330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is threefold
1. Your security will never be 100%, you have to accept that, so to be as effective as possible, your security must be 'balanced'. It is stupid to spend a lot of asset on pax checking while at the same time, you spend nothing in other array. And THAT is what happening today and what p** off a lot of professionnal travelers.

2. The checkers must be professionnals, in all acceptation of the term, and this far to be the case. Most are incompetent and rude. Or am I just unlucky to pass only by the worst airports of the world???
I don't buy the 'it's the 100th guy/gal of the day being rude to me, so I..'. Same is valid for cabin crews in a lot of airline, and they keep having a smile, after 14h flight and saying 400 times in a row, 'good bye, Sir, Thank you'.
I don't buy either the "they are only low paid guy". In my country, firemen are very low paid guys and nobody complains about their competence or politeness.
Sure paying more will helps finding good guys, but mainly is is the selection and supervising process that should be revised seriously.

3. Any security system ends up by thrusting someone, either the checkers, the system administrator, whatever depending of the structure, but in fine you have to thrust someone.
It is also stupid to check someone througfully when you will HAVE to thrust him 10 minutes later.
I don't need any weapons, nail cutter, bombs, whatever to crash my aircraft in the Empire States building next time I will take-off from JFK and hold on...There is absolutly nothing you can do about it once and I am onboard!
So either you thrust me, on the basis of the security check you have done before giving me/renewing my licence and in that case you don't have to chek for nail clippers or you don't and in that case you should revoke my licence immediately.
It is either way, trying to be in between is maybe a nice show off for politicos but is wasting assets.