PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How short is yours (Oooo er?)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 07:25
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF,

You'd have no problem putting the Europa down on Leicester's "short" runway. I can get the Pitts in there pretty easily. Approach speed 90 mph, slow it down to about 75-80 over the hedge, no problem. And that's with no wind. With any bit of wind, I don't have to slow it down that much over the hedge (my usual speed over the hedge is about 85 mph). What you have to do, though, is aim to touch down on the numbers, not 1/3 down the runway. That's the real key to a lot of strip flying. Also, you slow down in grass very quickly providing there's no slope. Give it a go, at least do a few low approaches or touch and goes to see how you get on.

Having learned strip flying from Monocock's aforementioned mate, and spent that last 8 years considering him my aviation guru, I can attest that I've seen him land ACROSS the big runway at Leicester with the right conditions, and be stopped before getting to the other side. That man truly wears the airplane and knows exactly what it's going to do. That said, he has probably over 2,000 hours in the same airframe, so I think he's starting to get the hang of it. He's an excellent pilot and a great mate!

Pitts2112