PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas May Dump Australian Airlines
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2006, 02:52
Boyscout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems funny that this thread has run so far without anyone really questioning the source and reason for the initial article. Although the AFR is reasonably highly regarded, I can't but think that this article could merely be scare tactics to divide the masses. These 'masses' are indeed various QF Group pilots that the Company wants to divide, and fulfil it's responsibility to drive wages down. I believe AO pilots are currently negotiating their EBA, and threats that the Company may not be around may be a vain attempt to gain leverage in these negotiations. Shallow promises and the sign off on a deal to compete with the wage levels of an airline (J* Int) that doesn't yet exist for mine is where it's coming from.

All AO Pilots have contracts. There is a heap of infrastructure associated with the business and a heap of Flight Attendants. Methinks at worst a change of paint scheme & uniform will occur here, with the associated industrial hubbub. Yes the name may be dumped, but who cares what uniform or paint scheme it becomes? Qantas certainly don't, and the general public don't seem to either at the moment. Provided the bird has 'Qantas Group' written in small letters on the side who cares? However I think the big wheel of 'Low Cost' will turn (like scrapped 'Song' in the US etc) and QF will become one again eventually (albeit on different agreements). In the interrim pilots will have to accept that it is senior QF management's job to divide & conquer at any (low) cost. Their ploys though are not normally as transparent as this.