PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 22:04
ACW418

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few questions that arise out of ploughing through this thread and its sub-threads. I flew Vulcans when we had both 201 and 301 engines so some of my confusion may be caused by this. We were introducing Sim Start as a mod. Prior to Sim Start we used to start No 2 engine either using an Artouste (or was it a Palouste) or by cross feeding from the Rover AAPP - the rest were started by cross feeding from No 2. After the mod it was all high pressure air so you could not cross feed anymore. On QRA we used to leave the aircraft cocked ready for Sim start with all throttles at full. You had to either go straight off (from the ORP) or catch the engines at about 70% I think. I seem to remember you had to watch the JPTs and if you retarded the throttles too soon the engine stopped (or the JPT went too high?). I do not recall any ripple starts.

The questions are after the Sim start mod how did we start the engines normally i.e. not on QRA? The other question is about the Take Off/Cruise switch which was not fitted when I was flying Mk2's as far as I can recall - when was that introduced or was it a Mk1/1A thing?

ACW