PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet Deicing
Thread: Westjet Deicing
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 18:09
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deice05:

You appear to be painting all Westjet pilots with the same brush, and in my opinion, that is patently unfair and unwarranted. I know many Westjet pilots, including some of the ones you addressed in your letter, and I can tell you that taking off with contaminated wings (as you have alleged), is not an acceptable practice for any of them.

Some of your story doesn't hold water. In case you didn't know (and as a professional pilot you should), the Captain is required by regulation (refer to CAR 602.11 (7)) to inform his passengers that he will be deicing the aircraft prior to departure. When no such announcement was made prior to leaving the gate, you should have asked a member of the cabin crew if deicing would be taking place. I know that I certainly would have if I saw conditions out the window that you claim to have seen.

If you truly believe that the flight was conducted unsafely and in contravention of the regulations, then you need to step up and do the right thing. I suggest that you write another letter to Transport Canada only, giving the specifics of the flight in question. They will contact Westjet and ask for a response. In doing so, your name will not be used. If the response is acceptable (which I firmly believe it would be), they will get back to you with their findings. If it is not, they may bring the matter to TC Enforcement for further action.

SG

Last edited by Safety Guy; 28th Jan 2006 at 16:56.