PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mentored / Sponsored Pilot Schemes - The industry gone mad
Old 27th Jan 2006, 14:35
Wannabe24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If what Re-Heat is saying about BA taking on modular candidates back in the 90’s is correct then it has been over 10 years since they last tried. Since then we have moved on to JAA JAA land. There are some differences between modular and integrated these days that appear to be deliberate . They needn’t be that way but just for the sake of it - they are. Without these differences an integrated course could not earn it’s name. Like I said, the work of clever marketing bods.

These days, one could do their PPL, structurally build hours, do their ATPL theory, CPL, ME and then IR all with the same school; under the guidance of instructors all the way through; without any breaks; pretty much full time and at a school that provides integrated training! This isn’t majorly different to integrated and if the school wanted to teach the pilot “to think like an airline pilot”, like they claim to do with integrated students, they could do it for modular students too. I think by discounting all modular pilots without paying any attention to their training record is senseless. The ‘self improvers’ of the past would’ve encompassed everyone from farmers (agri pilots) and aerobatic types to our humble selves, but this has changed recently. Most people DO do their modular training in the same time it takes for an integrated student to complete his/hers.

I think the question should be, what percentage of those candidates that required additional training were modular compared to integrated and what was the difference. We don’t even know if BA were actively seeking out to find the “better” training method (integrated or modular). Obviously, these are facts and figures BA are not required to make public, but they should. Until then it appears that what is being done is indeed discrimination.

I’m just explaining to you how I and I’m sure many more modern day modular students see things. Some of you guys, although vastly experienced, and no doubt have a good understanding of airline requirements seem to be a bit outdated when it comes to comparing the two routes. Another point, in all other walks of life, if you purchase something as part of a packaged deal, it's usually cheaper. But in the wonderful world of aviation it doesn't work that way. One would think, to go modular, i.e. to buy a bit of flexibility would cost you more....it's actually cheaper.