PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 13:32
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once knew a bloke called "Tiny" Tew who I believe was a Nav on 9 Sqn in late 60's/early 70's. (might be wrong) He told me a story about a Vulcan landing in which a main wheel (maybe 2) came adrift. Aircraft landed safely and no body injured, but the wheel bounced across the road, through a field and demolished part of a farmers chicken shed. P***ed off farmer returned wheel in a tractor trailer the next day. Not sure of exact details now as this was some years back. However, others may know more and might like to tell the tale.
Another ex Vulcan man I knew was "Ernie" Batty, now passed on sad to say. Ernie told a hillairious story about a visit to Gib when very junior. His crew went on a bender and all he could remember next morning was some bar done up with rope and fishing nets, and some large fronted woman who's boobs he kissed. It turned out the "bar" was the Officer's Mess and the woman was the Stn Cdr's wife!!! Crew were met on the mess steps by the Staish who knew the Captain, and ignoring Ernie completly bid his friend goodby, saying come back anytime, but don't ever bring HIM. Story as told by Ernie much funnier than I can reproduce here.
My contact with Tin Triangle was I am sad to say, limited to controlling Lightnings on Fighter Affil in various places, and laying on Ladies Mile beach watching 9 and 35 Sqn landing at Akrotiri when I was on 280 SU at Cape Gata in early 1970's. Happy days!!!