PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 11:45
Topslide6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

javelin,

You're absolutley correct. But then I think that's part of what being a good F/O is about...knowing that the guy in the left seat is more experienced and that you can learn an awful lot from them but having the confidence in your own ability and knowledge to question him/her when they do something you're not happy with. As long as you both brief each other corectly then it's not an issue. It works the other way around as well...i've flown with Captain's who have got high on a descent profile for example, and have not seen the situation developing and have needed a bit of prompting...but that's EXACTLY why there are two of us and the old gradient is more shallow, to prevent the cockups of the past.

What I was trying to get accross (and admittedly failed miserably ) is that the SOP's are there to protect you both from the cowboy, left or right seat, who believes they know it all and just gets on with it without letting the other guy know what they're upto.

A perceived lack of experience shouldn't mean that you are a 'poor FO'. It's to do with our professionalism and willingness to learn and improve!