PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester
Thread: Manchester
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 10:54
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SSD.
When joining in the Barton overhead at 1800ft you are outside the Manchester CTR, and in Class G airspace. Therefore, all traffic in the Barton Local Flying Area can operate without reference to EGCC Approach.
Initially, (and I'm only refering to westerly ops here),as you enter Class D airspace towards Sale Water Park we would be putting into action co-ordination for the latter part of the flight which will enter a 4nm radius of EGCC which is airspace delegated to the Air Arrivals controller. The purpose of the 4nm zone is to protect aircraft in the event of a go-around. As you orbit at Sale Water Park you are just outside the 4nm zone but we would want to establish the go-around protection before you enter the go-around area, and, it might be that if you're orbiting a little wider than normal, that you still enter it.
The standard missed approach from 24R will require any aircraft within 4nm flying to 0 dme, (the runway TD point), then executing a right turn onto 360 degrees, (pretty much directly towards Sale Water Park). Climbing to 3500ft.
So....If you're still with me....... We must make sure this doesn't happen by issuing a non-standard go-around to each aircraft flying the 24R ILS whilst you're holding at Sale water Park....The non-standard GA is almost always climb straight ahead to 3500ft.......All the time this is going on the departures are launching off 24L/R...Some will be making a right turn out, in fact most do initially to follow the noise preferential routeings.....See the confliction?...Thus we go 'dependent' ops which means we increase approach spacing to 5nm or more....and departures cannot be cleared for take-off when a landing aircraft is within 2nm from touchdown until such time that it is firmly on the runway. Here you can see how the movement rate can be severely affected.
You've probably lost the will to live after that so I'd recommend a break for tea/coffee but I hope it explains why Sale water Park is only an option in very light traffic. And those days are getting very few and far between!
Spiney