PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 10:33
javelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Originally Posted by Topslide6
I'm afraid that the fault there is solely the Captain's old boy. SOP's exist to stop one guy of the 2 thinking he knows best and doing things off his/her own back. If you weren't aware it's called multi-crew and CRM. Notice that there seem to be a lot fewer human-error induced accidents and incidents (and thankfully deaths) nowadays than, say, 20 years ago. It's not a coincidence!!!
Slightly wrong, SOP's are there to allow 2 people to operate within the framework of the companies accepted operating procedures. There is also a paragraph which will say that if pilots wish to operate away from the SOP's they should do so after briefing.

Now, if this Captain has a wealth of experience and can see a situation developing, there may be several occasions when profiles, configuration, patterns may be changed to improve economy or safety or for expeditious reasons.

I agree that things should not be done without consultation, but the problems I have heard of relate to F/O's who want chapter, verse and the printers' name before 'allowing' the Captain to continue. This is usually because the F/O has not got the basic experience to fall back on, either on type, or in commercial aviation generally.

Being an expert at both CRM and flying the aeroplane, I do not come across this situation ever