PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 09:45
justathought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Topslide6,
I agree with a lot of what you have said. You sound like a switched on chap and I am sure you are very good at your job.
I do disagree with what you say about experience though.

""As for the experience side of it I fail to see, and no one will convince me otherwise, that a thousand hours flying SINGLE PILOT in a light twin can in any way prepare you both flying-wise and experience-wise for flying a MULTI-PILOT jet. It's completely different flying, and only connected by the fact you leave the ground to do your job. This applies 10-fold if you're flying a Scarebus.""

Flying a light twin for a thousand hours single pilot makes you learn things that you don't learn sitting in the right seat. It will definately be hard for you to see that because you haven't done it but notice that the only people saying it doesn't teach you valuble things are the people that haven't done it and are therefore not well qualified to comment.
Command time teaches you things that you can't learn anywhere else or any other way. Single pilot time can also result in bad habits being reinforced over a long time too, there are negative sides to it but if you can adapt well to a multi-crew CRM environment then you will constantly find yourself using this experience day to day.
Saying the two jobs are only connected by the fact that you leave the ground is interesting, maybe for your job this is true, maybe your captains job has more in common with the Single pilot Multi IFR chaps than it does with yours.