PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan Deployment
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 09:05
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reservists in 'Stan

Our Reserve Sqn was asked to provide volunteers for this deployment back as far as Oct 05. Several of our people have put up their hands to go, and will be off with the rest of the deployment in due course.

Perhaps I'm a little over sensitive about reservists, but I'm not sure if Wycombe was taking the p**s or not. Us weekend warriors have been busy for some years in all sorts of places doing all sorts of jobs that are considered necessary by the powers that be. I have been back in uniform a couple of times for extended periods, as have almost all of the guys and gals I know in reserves various country wide. I would not hide the fact that somes years back there was an element who considered the reserves to be a bit of a social club, but these have been removed (in the main) over the last few years, and the force is now much better trained, much fitter and keen to do the job.
I must say that I get a little annoyed at times with the attitude of people who should know better. Regulars are complaining about everything in sight, and saying how they want out as soon as poss. My people can walk whenever they like just by handing in their ID card and uniform, yet they turn up whenever they can and volunteer to give up the easy civi life to go to crap parts of the world and get shot at. Then they come back and often ask to do it again.
Our respective services are now so short, that they rely on reservists to fill everyday posts in order to get the day to day job done. Bit of a sad state of affairs in my view.
Good luck to all off this time both regular and reservist, keep yer 'eads down, and I wish you all safe return to your own lands in due course.
Ray