PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2006, 06:17
John Blakeley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircrew Error versus Technical Malfunction

Southside,

Since you clearly believe that this was an aircrew error accident albeit not Gross Negligence, I would welcome your comments on why you reject all the eveidence, including Boscombe Down, Stn Cdr Odiham and a string of other experts both operators and engineers, that points to at least an equal chance of this accident being the direct or distraction result of a technical malfunction. on an aircraft with a wide range of airworthiness problems. An aircraft fleet where we now know that Boscombe Down, based on in-service engine failure incidents and not just their own TP issues, stated that we now consider the consequences of the risks and probability of an occurrence to be UNACCEPTABLE. (my bold)

I do not think that you have anything factual or new on which to base your comment that they were "foolish, unprofessional and misguided", any more than it turns out that the Reviewing Officers had real evidence to support their damning Gross Negligence verdict. However, I would be very glad to hear it if you have. Remember what the House of Lords said in their conclusions:

In carrying out our terms of reference, we have considered the justification for the Air Marshals' finding of negligence against the pilots of ZD 576 against the applicable standard of proof, which required "absolutely no doubt whatsoever". In the light of all the evidence before us, and having regard to that standard, we unanimously conclude that the reviewing officers were not justified in finding that negligence on the part of the pilots caused the aircraft to crash.

I suggest that you are falling into the same trap with your comments.