PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2004, 14:38
the coyote

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
FF

I trained with PHS and worked for them for four years. Two years at the rock and two years in Melbourne as an instructor. I walked away after four years with them with around 2500 hours, a grade 1 instructor rating, numerous endorsements, and experience in tourism, bush work, pilot training, firefighting, film work and general charter. I worked hard for them, and they expect that, but in hind sight they gave me some pretty good opportunities for a low time pilot and an average of 600 hours per year. Can't argue with that.

With tourism work its about 20% flying and 80% all the other stuff that gets bums on seats and keeps the operation going. You want to fly more, you talk more people into flying, simple. Operators in tourism look for the kind of personality that is good for that, and that gives the punters a good time and good service, and someone who is willing to work hard without moaning about it.

If you want to work overseas, long range plan I reckon would be to aim for the twins, and a good start is turbine hours with the IREX and ATPL subjects under your belt.

Good luck!