PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 11:54
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The proof is in the pudding guys..I got my first job with only 190 hours total helicopter, but ONLY because I had my IREX subject passed. That got me in the left hand seat of an S76 and earning a decent salary (like I mean, earning MONEY to fly helicopters!!), during which I studied in my own time and passed the ATPL exam. Passing the ATPL exam got me a big pay rise and a ticket over to the right hand seat in an S76. I've never looked back since starting out, never worked for free, never swept a hangar floor to "earn" a few hours. All I did was study hard, learn my craft from other professionals, and now with 3 twin-command endorsements (none of which I've had to pay a cent for) there are plenty of jobs going around from which I can choose. I could have had 500 or 1,000 hours and it still wouldn't have got me that first job without the IREX, and I'd still be flying an R22 (if anything at all). Instead I'm installed in a nice big B412, or if I feel like a change ocassionally I can go fly an S76, or if I'm really desperate then back to "stick and rudder" flying in a B212. And I've still only got 190 hours total R22, just like I had when my first pilot job landed at my feet. So, speaking from experience, to all you basic CPL's out there, go get your IREX and ATPL subjects passed as soon as you can, and don't go paying for any additional endorsements. It won't cost you much if you study privately (like I did), and it could lead to your dream job and a future as a helicopter Captain.