PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Level IMC
Thread: Low Level IMC
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2006, 22:51
AcroAce60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Boozer Snoozer...
Sure, the rules for an airshow display are easy. .......
If you need to know more, just ask AeroAce60; he thinks he knows everything about airshows although he has probably never flown in one.
Believe it or not, Squawk, I actually agree with all of that. Some years ago I posted my views, in a public forum , on the Roulettes ignoring basic safety principles - no-one seemed interested. I wonder if they've done an appropriate risk analysis. The FAA in the USA has authority over displays conducted by the Blue Angels, for example, at a military base - if the general public is invited. There was a display a few years ago which had to be significantly altered as a handful of local residents declined to vacate their homes adjacent to the base, as they had done in previous years.
We shouldn't assume that the Harvard was IFR just because he was obscured by cloud to some-one on the ground. I've occasionally seen an inviting hole during a display where there's been a low cloud base, quite adequate for a stall turn. Even if he did go into cloud for part of a manoeuvre - seems to me that if he's got the skills to perform low level aerobatics he would have no trouble getting through part of them in cloud, probably was able to see the ground below anyway. He was reported to modify the figures later so he had worked out how far up he could go.
IFR formation - now that's another game altogether. Ferry pilot for Sean Tucker was lost doing that back in the '90's.
For info - I have done many low level aerobatic displays - including at Avalon - and I have never claimed to know everything about it - all you get are my opinions on the subjects upon which I choose to post.