PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mexico City MMMX ILS 5R approach-very sharp turns?
Old 26th Jan 2006, 15:19
Byrna

Mexico City MMMX ILS 5R approach-very sharp turns?

Hello,

I do flight simulation and used charts based on real-world charts (from Simplates 2004 and VATSIM) to do an ILS approach to runway 5R at Mexico City's Benito Juarez airport (MMMX).

The route was from Vancouver Intl CYVR to MMMX.

The approach to runway 5R using the GABTU ONE STAR is confusing in how sudden the turns are and after verifying if I misunderstood the charts by re-reading Charles Woods' instructions on ILS approaches, I found I had done it properly.

The approach was done with a heavy - the PSS 772LR and the autopilot made the turns though it was off on the last turn to the final, making my course misaligned so the next time, I'LL do the turns manually myself. Here are some of the sharpest turns on the approach:

Begins at PJT VOR with heading 137
Turns to RADEL intersection heading 074
Turns to SMO (Mateo) VOR heading 159
I then inserted an intersetion myself to make the turns more smooth - MALPA heading 177
CD05 heading 111
Then the final approach fix (FAF) with is MW (Plaza) NDB with heading 049.

The last turn from 111 to 049 is incredible as the distance to go is only about 3.9 NM!

Do pilots really do this in real life or have I done something wrong?

Please note, the approach to runway 23L has a "teardrop" turn but 5R does not.

Any help would be appreciated, especially from pilots who have flown to Mexico City before.

Can (John) Agbaba