PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS PPL Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2006, 10:28
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I think you regular, experienced flyers with your own GPS kit are missing my point. You and I know that you need to keep your eyes out and know how to use the GPS in conjunction with standard VFR lookout procedures. My point is that a low time, infrequent pilot who might not be as familiar with the a/c panel mount/ their own hand held as they should is likely to be distracted by the gadget. This is exacerbated by a busy flying school where hire slots are tight leading to the "I'll sort the GPS out once I am up" syndrome. Hence the need for proper training.
I do fly with a basic moving map - if you knew my trade you might be amazed at how basic it is, but it works very well. Yes a proper moving map with CAA charts and OS maps would be great but (with the exception of memory map) unavailable to the consumer market.
I am not anti GPS and I know that GPS will make low time pilot's flying less stressful, but IMHO the distraction issue is significant and would need to be addressed by training.