PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 RDMI ADF Dip?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2006, 02:40
Air Conditioned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We may have lost contact with VC10's question which was whether the "dip" is apparent in the simulator. I have flown a bunch of simulators and never did see the effect presented, nor have I ever seen it in simulator fidelity check schedules. I would think we can take it as read that the simulator computor hasn't been taught about this, and therefore works as though the ADF loop is always level and therefore there is no dip.

I would suggest you can ignore the real world in the sim and watch the track come up on RMI as you progress round base turn, with the ability to fiddle your bank/rate of turn to roll out on track and earn a piggy stamp.

In an aircraft if you do this you will find the ADF is indicating an underturn, you apply more bank, exacerbating the effect which becomes apparent when you roll the wings level and the needle mockingly crosses to the outside of the turn. For my part I always ensure being right on the intermediate track before the turn, fly the turn at the recommended angle of bank, then roll level to read the outcome before getting the tracking process under way. (Oh all right, if you know the crosswind, there are things you can do)

It would be of interest to know whether there are any aircraft in which attitude is fed to the ADF loops, otherwise and as said by BizJetJockey, this characteristic exists by virtue of irrefutable geometry. It is certainly present in all of some twelve transport aircraft I have flown, from Dove to 747, including 737 and 767.