PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 23:54
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much!

I've waded through these threads and I'm exhausted!
Although I've PM'd a few people, I would ask again that if any of you guys want to relate your stories or information on Vulcans, do please PM or email me, as I really would like to gather as many stories as a I can for my new book.
Naturally, I will trace the development and service history of the Vulcan, but this is "old stuff" now, and I think the book would be much more interesting if it contained more direct stories from the people who flew and maintained the aircraft.
I should point-out that discussing the weapons and war role, routes, etc., is no longer a sensitive subject; much has already been discussed in print, and now that the RAF hasn't been in the nukes business for many years, it's no longer a subject to be shrouded in mystery, so I hope to add much more information in my new book about how the Vulcan was actually used, and how it would have operated in a real-time war role. I think it important that this new book (which will probably be the last "big" book on the Vulcan) gives a proper account of what the Vulcan was all about, not just the same old potted history that we've all seen many times before.
I'd be very interested in more information about the one (or is it two?!) incidents in 1969, as that is an event which hasn't been recorded in earlier Vulcan books. Indeed, I'd be very interested in any information about exercises, QRA, and so on.
I'm also on the lookout for photographs, so that I don't have to churn-out too many photos which have been seen before, but of course there's a limit to what I can do. If anyone has any photos they can lend me, I can certainly scan them and return them.
Does anybody have a photo of either of the two Vulcans that received two-tone brown "desert" camouflage on the lower surfaces of the aircraft, during one of the Red Flags? I have a couple of snapshots but they'e fairly distant, so I'm still on the lookout for closer shots if anyone knows of any.
All contributions gratefully received, and credited to their source - it would be a shame if all of the information on this thread wasn't put into print in some form!
[email protected]