PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 23:22
Damienmk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read a lot of the comments on this thread and have to agree with most of what has been said. I take on board entirely, that there will be some FO's out there, in jet jobs, who lack experience.

With the state that the industry is in in this day and age, should there be any surprise? Airlines are no longer listening to a Chief Pilot. The bean counters control issues and if a low hours pilot is insureable, willing to pay for a type rating, then they're going to be hired.

I would hazard a guess that as long as aircraft are as automated as they are, and there is always a relatively sensible guy/girl in the left hand seat, then the bean counters are going to recruit numbers to fill spaces as cheaply as they possibly can.

The bean counters control things nowadays. They don't see "Pilots" or "experience". They see numbers in the shape of $ or £ or any other currency. They see people who have pieces of paper which say they can take an aircraft from A to B. And that forms the basis of the decisions made by the airlines.

It's all about money and nothing else.