PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control harmonisation, a black art?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 22:07
'India-Mike

I'm a Chippy owner, with about 150 hours on type. After 600 hours of tricycle SEP flying, I have to confess I found it a handful up and away (never mind the tailwheel bit). It's of another era - marginal stability in pitch (I think it's a lightly damped phugoid), and very light control forces. The latter are so light they make a nonsense of trying to assess harmonisation let alone quantify it. Having got to grips with the aeroplane, an IMC renewal in it (VDF let downs, SRA's) brought the instability in pitch home to roost. Control forces so light in such an aeroplane in my limited, non-tp, view, emphasise the nonsense of the concept of harmonisation. Now Pup vs. Bulldog on the other hand, allow one to interpret the concept of harmonisation - the latter's elevator is just too heavy.
I believe there is a Darrol Stinton preview assessment of the Chippy, but even with my current ETPS contact have not been able to access it. Perhaps that might shed more light on the aeroplane. It's got in my opinion a couple of (in the contemporary context) deficiencies that are actually assets!
Remember Genghis there's an open invite up here - challenge you to a formal preview!