PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 20:40
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While its great that EI are getting some badly needed new airframes it looks like they are going to go with the A350. Bad move. This clapped out heap of junk only looks effecient against the MD-11(Finnair) and 767-200(US air). Airbus have been so busy with the A380 that they have lost the plot with a330/a340 I fear that the a350 will meet the same fate as the a345/6. Normally Aibus produce a fantastic product, the A320 is still wins more orders than the 737NG and its 20years old! Shows how ahead of its time the A/C was.
The 777/787 would be a much better choice, and while Boeing are probably not offering dealt that EI cannot refuse, the 777/787 will prob ahve better residule values and operating costs, long term. 777 also allows more flexability should a new runway be built in Dublin. Also EI will inevitabely be competing against EK/BA/SQ all with 380/748/77X they need any advantage they can get, and of late Airbus have not been delivering stellar products from cost or reliability point of view.

Ultimtely I do not believe that having an all Airbus(or Boeing) fleet is all that necessary, in terms of engineering and crew support both the A320 and A330 have their own spacific training and ratings. The CCC concept only makes it easier to train for both, as far as I know seperate line training is needed. So not such a big deal, as most other training is thrown in by the manufacturers.