PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS PPL Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 14:54
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540 - I know you have said previously you do not sail so your comments are understandable and have some merit.

However accurate navigation in a yacht can still be pretty important and challenging. IFR becomes sailing in fog - not uncommon. An ILS becomes navigating through the loo channel (a narrow channel off Selsey where you may recall Ted Heath's yacht Morning Cloud sank near there) between the sand banks at night, and CAS becomes your crew of "innocent" fellow sailors who would far rather not find themselves swiming.

Charliegolf - yes, each to his own BUT I still feel strongly enough to disagree only because I am concerned about other pilot's safety. Believing that navigating over any long distance with a chart on your lap, and mark 1 computer in your hand and stop watch on the other seat gives you more time with your head outside the cockpit is just daft and when you are looking outside for ground features believing you have got an effective scan going is also daft. Sorry but I just have to beg to disagree. Fly with someone who uses a really good moving map and see how little time they spend looking in the cockpit and how good an effective external scan they have going and then tell me I am wrong.