PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the difference in training between an IR instructor and a IMC instructor??
Old 25th Jan 2006, 12:53
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF, why should you log IFR if you are flying VOR to VOR??
That's not quite what I said. You should log IFR if you are undertaking an instrument flight. One aspect of an instrument flight is that you will navigate by instruments. There are other equally important aspects, for example would you be prepared to enter IMC?

If you carry out a flight in accordance with all of the rules of IFR, but you would not be prepared to enter IMC on that flight (maybe because your aircraft doesn't have the necessary instruments, or you are an instructor carrying out a visual lesson with a student, or you are not qualified to fly in IMC), then I think it is morally wrong and misleading to log the flight as IFR, even though you might technically be allowed to from a legal point of view.

If I still haven't quite made myself clear, let me give you a "for instance" of a night flight in the UK, outside controlled airspace. If I fly a C152 at night, I must carry out the flight under IFR. However, it is very rare that I would carry out a flight at night in IMC in a C152 - I would generally try to actively avoid entering IMC. I would also generally navigate visually, perhaps backing up my navigation with VORs or whatever navaids I had available to me.

My understanding of this flight is that I am legally entitled to log it as IFR. It could, therefore, legally count towards the minimum requirements for teaching for the IR. However, to do so, although legal, would be misleading - therefore I would not log this flight as IFR. That's just my own personal point of view.

Hope that clears up my viewpoint on the subject.

FFF
--------------