PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS PPL Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 10:07
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540 / LTN - Yes this is definitely the case with the FAA on the IR. If the kit is in your aircraft then they will expect you to know how to use it! When I did my IR a few years ago we had only briefly touched on the GPS and how GPS autopilot approaches could be flown and therefore prior to the test the Db card was removed and the unit marked InOp - problem solved

The aircraft I fly now has panel mounted IFR approved GPS which I am currently teaching myself to use - albeit slowly! The AP is not as good as on the training aircraft I used though so doubt I will be flying any coupled approaches unless the group decides to upgrade it which we are currently discussing.

It is nice to see instructors such as FFF going the extra yard and offering bolt-on courses on GPS, etc and surprised no-one has taken him up on it. Its not only good for the student to give them confidence and also explore any areas they probobly wouldnt otherwise but it generates revenue for the clubs (and instructors of course ).

Advances in technology should be embraced as has been emphasised ealier! I am all for learning dead reckoning, never any question about that, but to then go on to say that that is the only way and will always be the primary method of navigation is madness!!!! The logical method, and also to reduce cockpit workload, is to use map, visual and GPS together - which is how I fly.

If the 'old school' want to bury their heads in the sand and just write GPS and other advances off then let them, but I take it they are also still travelling round in horse and cart because obviously they are all throughly aware that travelling above 20MPH will cause you to suffocate!

Julian.