PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pass Benefits
Thread: Pass Benefits
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2006, 03:26
petitfromage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fare Comparison

Sticking with the HKG-LAX theme.....(one-way)

Cathay Staff Travel: Economy US$64 + taxes (Business US$167+taxes)
One World: US$120 + taxes
ZED (other carriers): US$89 + taxes

**Thats the official rate. Obviously the 'difference' in total fare is how your airline, OW or ZED add on the little extras! For example, Cathay add the fuel surcharge to staff tickets. As far as I can tell, Qantas and Emirates dont.......from HK-LAX thats an extra US$50.

Of course the bonus of travelling long haul with your own airline is that you can get Business/First class. Not to mention, if your not flying youre own airline your boarding priority is rock bottom.

I could fly to the USA cheaper with United or Northwest....by why would I bother? They are complete rubbish!
Tatty old jets, antiquated IFE and cabin crew who look (and act) like they should be starring in Land of the Living Dead.

If youre such a scrooge that US$50 breaks the bank & tugs at the heart strings.....then take your chances but please, lets not hear how bad it was. (Aimed at no-one in particular, so please dont take offence)

Lastly although things may be much better in the US (although Im personally unconvinced of that)..... but this is not the US! In joining CX, youre working in Asia for an Aisian airline. If you learn how to work the system rather than fight it, you'll find your quality of life increases 10-fold.

Its swings and round-abouts. In the US you can obviously just pitch-up, flash your card and get a ticket. Not so here Im afraid. But, in CX you can get your parents, wife and kids on the jumpseat if needs be....and that too is a bonus (given our loads). You win some and lose some. The choice is yours.

Happy Year of the (Hair of) the Dog.

Kung Hei Fat Choi

Last edited by petitfromage; 25th Jan 2006 at 04:46.