PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas still looking at 777-200LR for kangaroo nonstops
Old 25th Jan 2006, 01:19
theflyer1735

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DomeAir
Qantas must be in a real dilemma about the possibility of having an aircraft go non-stop because of what it will do to the existing Kangaroo route.

With the A380 just over a year away and no doubt configured in a very expensive tri-class config, having the choice (well potential) to operate a non-stop service but risk taking away some of your most profitable and highest revenue generating seats must make for some interesting internal discussion.

From a business pax perspective, I think most people would prefer to fly non-stop and the only way to make a long range mid size airliner like the 777-200LR work on such a sector is if you are flying high revenue generating seats (e.g. mainly business (say 70% of seats, 10% first and 20% premium economy but certainly no discount seats).

How viable is it? If you assumed the following scenario:
- Two flights going to LHR (ex SYD) with similar arrival times
- One leaves SYD 2 hours later than the first
- The first is via SIN or BKK, with 550 other pax (you know what the lounge can look like)
- The second is 150 pax all in J & F
- The J class pax is travelling for work and is not paying for his/her ticket

The only way to make the one-stop flight attractive would be to offer a reduced fare in business or first (or charge a premium for the non-stop). Given the uniqueness of the service, they probably would get a premium but there is a lot of alternative competition for the one-stop…

And if the non-stop proved as popular as what I think it would become, the A380 would need to be re-configured in a higher density config…

Given the above, I can certainly see why it is not just a case of "can the aircraft fly the route..."

Apologies for this lengthy (and boring) response!
Very insightful DomeAir

Plus they look the business, Qantas if you are reading this... please, pretty please buy us some 200LR's