PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester
Thread: Manchester
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 20:30
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it!

I used to fly a Manch based 172 years ago, when things were only slightly different. Took our Chippy in a while ago - got the new runway in me log book (24L departure). That was a 'free' day, when unusual aeroplanes were invited in to clebrate 100 years of flight.

I'm surprised they gave you a join at Congleton, since you were coming from the north. Why not Barton - Sale Water Park?

Also, I could see what was coming with your first approach off Hilltop. They will expect you to slot in between the heavies - but you were right to be concerned about wake turbulence - it's a killer. However, you can avoid it by flying a profile that keeps you above the flight path of the heavy, and not touching down until you are past the heavy's touchdown point.

I can still remember a now long retired Manch controller saying "Your traffic's a Trident on a 4 mile final, TS. Nip in behind him". Often used to fly close-in RH downwing for 24 over the northern carparks in those days, continuous base-to-final turn over the terminals as the preceding airliner vacated with the next on 3 mile final, to touch down well up the runway for a rapid fantail turn off for the south side.

Those were the days!

SSD