PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 16:52
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Business as Usual

Hi everyone,
Just to keep you all up to date with Campaign matters. Regrettably, I have to inform you that our Chair, Mr James Arbuthnot has had to step down from the position. This is due to a perceived conflict to his role of Chair of the Defence Select Committee. With his permission, I give you sight of his E-mail to members of the Campaign:

I have decided, with great sadness and reluctance, that I must step down as Chairman of the Mull of Kintyre Group. This is because the House Authorities have said that my chairmanship of the Group was incompatible with Chairmanship of the Defence Select Committee.

I am delighted to say that Lord O'Neill of Clackmannan has agreed to take on the role, and there will be no gap. He was the first Parliamentarian to run with the issue, he was one of the all-party delegation to go to see the Prime Minister and it is entirely appropriate that he should be in the lead on this important campaign. He will have my complete support.

The campaign will, one day, succeed. There are two reasons for this. One is that, in the end, justice does come to the fore. All our human instincts cry out for injustice to be righted and, unlike other things, that never diminishes with time. And the other reason is that the people behind this campaign are outstanding in their quality and their determination. Already the opinion of the world is that we are right, and we only have to change the opinion of the Ministry of Defence. With perseverance, we will achieve even that.

With very best wishes,
James

I should like to publicly thank Mr Arbuthnot for his support, guidance and determination to succeed in having the disgraceful slur of negligence removed from the reputation of Flt Lts Jon Tapper and Rick Cook. It has been a great honour, privilege and pleasure to be a part of the Mull of Kintyre Group, under his leadership.

I look forward to working with Lord O’Neill of Clackmannan who, I know, has the same level of commitment to the Campaign. We remain in good hands, and will continue to strive for justice.
Updates, as and when.

My best, as always,
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook