PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent: Skies grow dark for Air NZ, Ansett in Huge Trouble:CONFIRMED
Old 8th Sep 2001, 05:07
faheel

Why should the Australian taxpayer bail out Ansett?
Are you saying that any failed buisness should be propped up by the goverment? Because thats what you appear to be suggesting.
Gee we have a buisness thats struggling right now and could go under,jobs will be lost I think I will ask little Johnnie Howard to buy us out that would be great !!!
Ansett has been managed very badly in recent times and incidentaly together with Qantas was instrumental in putting Compass out of buisiness , I didnt see any goverment buy out of Compass to save Aussie jobs then!
Look if you run a company badly and get to the stage where its no longer financially viable to continue, tough , something has to give , either inject more capital, sell it or close it down.
To ask the goverment and by defacto the public to bail them out is not on.
Why should I dig into my pocket to fork out even more of my dosh to keep a failed enterprise going?
If we did that everytime a company threatened to fold the country would be bankrupt within a year.
On the otherhand if Ansett could be bought at a realistic price because it made FINANCIAL sense to do so, that would be a different matter all together, however the current owners of Ansett would take a big hit I would suspect and would much prefer a taxpayer funded free hand out.