PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ECG - Abnormal- ST Elevation
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 09:25
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"summary as below:

Left Atrial Enlargment, ST Elevation, possible infract *** acute MI ***"

Well, what a palava. You need to look at the ECG as part of the big picture. I'm guessing you are a fit healthy young male who can run a marathon if you wanted to and you've never had chest pain in your life except from broken ribs from playing rugby. I'd be far more impressed with that than a single test which has dubious predictive value anyway. ECG's are useful at telling whether something has happened and you haev a previous ECG, not too good at telling what is going to happen, nicely demonstrated by the report you have been given.

1) ECG's are pretty poor at picking up left atrial enlargment. You would need an echo to tell that and I wouldn't waste your money.
2) ST elevation is only really a worry if it wasn't there before - or the guy is in his fifties with crushing central chest pain brought on by exercise. With you it's probably just early repolarisation which is nothing to get concerned about.
3) The possibility of you having had an MI is ridiculously remote. Computer has really got it's knickers in a twist with that one.

So yes, googling can throw up some scary stuff, but as you are otherwise healthy they really don't apply.

Sending you for an exercise ECG is just somebody covering their back.

Probably