PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent: Skies grow dark for Air NZ, Ansett in Huge Trouble:CONFIRMED
Old 7th Sep 2001, 08:09
Albatross

Question

I dunno if I'm right here but isn't it just another company (put the knives away and let me finish). People have worked for Insurance, finance and steel companies on both sides of the Tasman, they have gone broke or faced serious restructuring due poor management/market conditions, jobs are lost and the government hasn't automatically stepped in? Hasn't it always been that the fastest way to make a small fortune in this industry is to start with a large one? Why should the size of the company make any difference? The NZ political party Act is pushing for management to raise capital through the shareholders same as any company in any other industry would. I am not saying that is going to be easy but why should an airline be treated any differently? I thought it was just a business, admittedly with a great deal of history (as did Pam-Am). Aren't we looking at this a bit much through rose tinted spectacles? (...but my dad worked for them and his dad and his dad's dad's dad. And when I was a kid I used to walk 50 miles every morning to stand at the threshold and watch Ansett planes take off) Ok out with the knives...............