PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 06:17
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the development of Irish aviation and in particular, aviation policy, over the last few decades, there is a history of lost opportunity; what has been achieved has been as a result of forcing the government (mostly due to EU regulations) and what has been lost has largely been due to obstacles placed for political reasons by successive governments.

I don't think it's unfair or unreasonable to say that Irish aviation policy has been irresponsible, shortsighted and obstructive. The interest simply isn't there; you need only look at a map to see how important aviation policy should be to Ireland.

Why is it that it has taken until 2006 - and then under extreme protest, becoming the only EU nation to negotiate a delay to the Open Skies deal - for the stopover to be wound down?

Why is it that a runway was built in 1989 which was/is a good 1500' shorter than it should be?

Why is it that while govt ministers and the Taoiseach go to India, China etc etc, to build new trade links, but the DAA plans an expansion of terminal facilities which obstruct the development of cargo facilities; while pax numbers have gone up very impressively, cargo handling has flatlined.

The minister said, within the last year, that DUB is part of the state's critical infrastructure; that being the case, why doesn't the govt take a hands on interest in the airport's development and ensure that it has the capacity and infrastructure to move development forward.

I'm not saying that everything that goes wrong is the govt's fault, BUT I maintain that Irish aviation policy has been extremely badly run, lacking in interest, vision and energy and that has cost us - and continues to do so.