PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd warning to all wanabees pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 02:02
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my new job is imaginary, eh? Funny they should have started my training, costs a lot of money for a practical joke! And the 4 interviews a friend of mine had, with 3 job offers? Or the people I know that are flying jets and turbo-props, they are not really working? People who have gone out and worked at getting jobs, who have the personality the employers want.

For the right people the jobs are out there. I know many people who I personally trained in ATPL theory or who I knew as flight instructors who are flying from light aircraft through turboprops, light jets, 737s and even one who flies a 747 as his first job. They were never offered on a plate. These guys worked at it, and accepted the tough times to get where they wanted to be.

The market is so strong there are no longer enough instructors out there. This time it has got so bad some are even being offered good pay - in salaried positions!

The number of misrepresentations and misunderstandings of the industry given in A320's posts suggests either he is a troll, or he is lying to try and reduce the competition or most likely that he knows nothing about the industry. Secure a job before training? Ridiculous, impossible, no pilot would suggest that for a self-sponsored pilot (except for type rating, which was not implied). Britain needs 3000 pilots a year, not the whole EU! A decent-sized airline with only 5000 CVs in a year? If that is all then the situation must be more critical than I thought - it suggests we need a lot more pilots. Why use a US case example? The markets are completely separate, and the US is in a much worse state. It is true that BA is an unlikely first-time employer,a nd that schools do overhype their cahnces of getting students interviewed. However if you want a job with BA and are not sponsored, forget it: if you want to fly, why on Earth choose to go straight into BA? If you want a good career, why go for aviation, when accountancy is cheaper and easier to get into, with as much earning potential. A320: if as your name suggests you want to fly an Airbus of all things then you are sadly deluded. Don't do it. This game is only worth it if you like flying, and going straight onto A320s is not the way to enjoy aviation!

Where does A320 think the pilots time on type come from to be captains? Do they appear from nowhere, or are they sitting about unemployed. As far as I can see, when they get the position their previous job needs filling, by someone coming up from a smaller airline or large GA operator, who then takes on the people newly-qualified or who have been instructing for a while. Some of the jet operators will take new pilots straight to fill the gaps left as their FOs are promoted or leave to fill these captains' vacancies.

That's how it works.

A320 sneers all the time, and claims there are no jobs. He sounds like one of those who didn't have his heart in it, didn't want to put in the effort my friends have made. He has had his mistakes pointed out before, so now if he repeats them he is lying, as he knows they are false.