PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANYTHING having to do with Emirates Applications
Old 24th Jan 2006, 01:09
SkySista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DA, yes you're totally right about training - it can be the difference of how crew react. Often I've read about crew, even fairly 'inexperienced' crew, who performed well because they were drilled and drilled and practised till they dropped in what to do, so it became second nature.

Then again there is never a 100% guarantee how someone will react until it happens - everyone deals with pressure/shock differently.

For example, a friend of my sister who is a trauma nurse... she was following friends in the car on holidays when the friends' car ran off the road... the nurse jumped out to help but later said she went to pieces and wasn't very effective at all... as it was her friends in the car... so the circumstances can help/hinder too.

I guess they just try to find people who are 'on the ball', as someone said in the earlier pages of this thread, to demonstrate a pattern of quick thinking/decision making that will most likely give the desired response in an emergency...

As for 'junior', or 'new' staff - it's important for them to respect authority, yes. But not to respsect/fear it so much that they're afraid to speak up. I suggest for anyone interested to read the Tony Kern books on CRM and Communication - many many examples of aircraft disasters that were 'allowed' to happen because the F/O was too afraid to speak up, or CC thought 'flight deck knew better than us'.... another couple to look at Atlantic Southeast Airlines Brasilia, and the Kegworth crash...

CC need to be on the ball, I myself (as a groundie)tell the pilots "I don't care how dumb you might think I am, if i think something's off I'm going to tell you about it". They have always said they appreciate my intention even if sometimes what us non-pilots think is a major problem isn't really serious - they'd rather have a false alarm than for us to shut up while they shut down the wrong engine!!! And yes, there have been occasions where the ground staff have been able to bring something to F/D attention that otherwise wouldn't have been noticed...

Anyway I'll stop before this turns into a thread drift (sorry Flyblue) maybe later I can start a thread about CRM issues for CC.....

As for photos... the one she commented on was my head/shoulders pic... I didn't think it was that great but Rowena said 'great photos'... yes i was smiling showing my teeth, the full-length was ok but unfortunately my hands are behind my back - however the 'proper' full length one turned out so gross I wasn't going to put it out in public!!! hahahaha

And it's cool about the anonymity thing... I know how it is...! Good luck for you too!! Are you just applying with EK, or are you gonna apply with others too?

Sky

(Edited for really bad typos!!)