PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody know of any cool public use heliports?
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 19:44
Buitenzorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool public use heliports...

The two I can remember offhand are the LAX heliport and the downtown New Orleans heliport. This information is 3-6 years old so may now be completely incorrect; after 9/11 the fun police joined Homeland Security so I wouldn't be surprised if both have been closed.

From a pilot's point of view, the LAX pad is a hoot, no matter how you get in. LAX has two pairs of parallel runways running East-West. If you approach from the North or South you stay at 1,500 ft until past the first set of runways, then descend to a landing on the pad which is on top of a parking garage, mid-field between the two sets of runways. A zero-airspeed auto works fine, followed by nosing over to about 30 kts at 300-400 ft. If you approach more from the West, along the shoreline, you'll have to stay below 150 until past the departure ends of the first set of runways, pull up and turn east, and then turn west into the wind for final approach to the pad (winds from the West 364 days a year at LAX), all while avoiding overflying the runways (easy) or the infield taxiways (makes it a bit more challenging). This last approach is uncommon to say the least, I think ATC only lets pilots they know and trust fly it. A ten minute walk takes you to the Encouter restaurant. I used to take students there on their first night cross-country, and usually the grin hadn't worn off by the next morning. No landing fees BTW. Warning: before you leave the pad, make sure someone will be available to let you back in, the door has a one-way combination lock.

The downtown New Orleans heliport is a one-or-two-storey affair surrounded by a bunch of high-rises, so often some sort of curving approach is called for and wind shear/turbulence can surprise the unwary. It's been more than 6 years, but I seem to recall a landing fee. The heliport manager at the time (Norm something or other) was most friendly and helpful.

Neither heliport has fuel.