PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 17:01
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't BGI Barbados? It wouldn't surprise me if they went for some Caribbean destinations, but I would say that they will prioritise the new US potential first.

Most of what I've heard suggests SFO is a virtual dead-cert, plus one FL destination (Miami more likely than MCO) and another, possibly back to BWI?

As for the Dreamliner, I've afraid that selection of the 350 (which admittedly isn't confirmed) would rule this out; it's a one or the other choice. The Dreamliner is an all-new design, but the fact that it has done so well last year puts EI at a disadvantage, in that Boeing doesn't feel the same pressure to make an "offer it can't refuse" to EI, whereas if Airbus were to lose EI to the 787, it would be slap in the face with a large, wet fish to them.

The good news anyway is that EI is looking forward.

The same can't be said about the DAA; despite the fact that 10/28 was built only in 1989, they just didn't have sufficient vision to recognise that DUB could be a long haul hub (some believe it was deliberately kept short, to avoid SNN being overflown); that's the kind of BS that holds Irish aviation policy back. Unfortunately, the new runway (about which very little has been heard recently) won't be open until 2012-13 (it's slipping further back), so we're stuck with a runway that's too short for the next 6-7 years. The chances of the minister ordering the DAA to do the needful are pretty slim.