PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for an FAA Licence and British Passport.
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 03:56
Wannagohome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to go the other way! From the US to Norway. I've been here a while and I'm looking into going home.

I was under the impression that a conversion to JAA/EASA from FAA required essentially retaking all the training and flight checks again, in the EU, for instance.
Yes, unless (I'm being told) you allready have a ATP and lot's of time (not sure how this is defined since I have plenty, but I can find out). It's then a matter of taking JAA written (a daunting task ) and do a flight check. This info is "a work in progress" and I have no idea what airplane would be suitable/required. My assumtion at this point (working on getting it verified) is that you will end up with the JAA commercial/instrument w/ frozen ATPL.

Ask far a far as working in the US (flight instructing exludes),yes you will need a greencard and yes about the only way to get one is to marry a US citizen. Off course if you allready have a spouse and she/he can get a job in the US (outside aviation) it is possible. Her/his employer will usually sponser both. And last but not least it's always the lottery!

I know for a fact that Cathey will hire someone on a ICAO (e.g. US FAA) lincense. (it's right there on the their website) I know one person who got the job with a US license.

many are not willing to take the regional jobs that are at hand right now
That's a little bit of an overstatement! Those jobs may not by "good" jobs, but young strapping men and women are standing in line to persue the "dream"

Ooops the time....... got to go