PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 00:42
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou
I was illustrating the kind of cooperation that existed using a pertinent example (ie NI).
CIA were the obvious/only source for the trigger and it would have been impossible for the INLA to have got hold of one; it would have been obvious to the CIA what it had been used for after the event, but they did not protest – I have no idea of the extent of cooperation in that case beyond that they must have supplied the trigger.
I am aware of Mr Neave’s history in intelligence and his respect by many – including Mrs Thatcher. However, he was determined to shake up the intelligence depts because of his perception that they were doing a lousy job – he had the names for the replacement heads of both MI5 and MI6 ready – his death came so closely after choosing to do this and just before he could execute it that there had to be a connection – there are plenty of quotes from politicians suggesting that the establishment would like to wash its hands of NI and not reinforce it with strong new measures. Remember that the team on board ZD576 were not in favour of major concessions to the IRA and in fact were on their way to planning a more aggressive campaign – a very similar situation, I suggest.
Just for the record, the official version had it that the INLA did it which, in my opinion, is farcial:
The amateurish outfit was so thoroughly infiltrated at the time that, to quote one source, they could not have passed wind without the British army knowing; I cannot see how that mob could have gotten access to his car (the bomb was placed in it expertly) inside the parliaments secure underground car park. Think about it.
"A reputable journalist"? – see my reply to BDiONU following.
BDiONU
With your experience I wonder if you would like to comment on the (apparently) incomplete radio dialogue between ZD576 and Scottish Military – why was there no answer to its (first and last) call?
Radio hams have observed Scot Mil changing transmitters during dialogues – is it possible that there was a response recorded on a different channel that has been overlooked?
If such a test of a new system was planned, would it have been a big deal to arrange low level coverage with equipment other than the large fixed sites or bring the old one back on? I believe that even the aerospace industry can organise that for themselves.
Regarding the article about the radar track: this was written very soon after the crash and would be unlikely to have been in support of any deep conjecture, more like just an immediate witness statement. The journo’s other work is extensive and in major publications over a long period.Whereas you wrote <<, what intense air activity would this be then? The odd Hawk going low level at Gigha Island?>> - having gone through transcripts of a/a and a/g comms during American/NATO exercises including helos at low level in that very area, I am very surprised at your comment and, on the strength of this would believe the above mentioned journalist over this air traffic controller.