PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 22:07
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escondido99. A correction. VH-AON was ferried south in August 1959 (?) by Dick Cresswell. It was at Airworld at Wangaratta for many years (sporting a "Puff the Magic Dragon" insignia) but has since been sold to someone in Victoria and I believe is now back in the air. The relic in the hangar was, from memory, VH-AAC which was pranged at Slate Creek (near Wau) in January 1951, bought in damaged condition by Ray Harris and Jim Smith and never flew again, and is buried somewhere at the Goroka tip, along with the Fox Moth and the Meserschmitt three wheeler. If it was AAC, it started life as G-AAAC, the first Royal Flight aircraft in 1934 and was pranged at Slate Creek (near Wau) in January 1951.

AON was a DHA84 (Australian built), whilst AAC was a DH84 (UK built).

Noel Peacock pranged a Dragon near the old Chimbu strip and took many months to recover. I tried to trace him 25 years ago but think he may have changed his name? The aircraft may have been VH-APL, which pranged at Chimbu September 1952?

Tinpis. My guess that Helio Courier is/was VH/P2-BOX? Last seen by me some years ago outside Yorkie's hangar. I may be wrong, but isn't that Pig at the Museum at Caloundra?