PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for an FAA Licence and British Passport.
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 18:23
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa USA

I will get more info for normal work permits in USA later, but from what I know only if you have an education that is in demand you can get work permit in the USA.

I tried to go there as self employed, for this you needed to invest approx. $100.000 and you would get one year at a time, then you would need to show that you would be employing US residents within 2-3 years. So this option was possible for me, but to much uncertainty so I dropped the idea.
I had a friend from Norway that went to school there in early 90's, I am trying to get in touch with him to give me some info, I know he stayed in the US for around 8 years and then got work for Cathay in HK. So he will maybe give some advice for how he did it that time.

With regards to flying for an european airline I understand that you need JAA license, they require conversion of the FAA.
Regarding Asia I dont know how it works there. Personally I will be going for a combination of both JAA and FAA, because it is more and more chances then.

Anybody been able to stay in the USA getting work without getting married there? If so how? Maybe before 9/11 was easier, but now I dont know.